Sunday 13 October 2013

Interlude - Scottish Highlands

I can't describe the view over Loch Linnhe, near Glencoe, Argyll on this warm, still, late afternoon. I absorb its sight and peaceful sound (yes okay along with a local Red Cullen beer 4.2% vol.) and want to type a few words but the right ones won't come. So I'll just direct you to my picture below. Sometimes - a lesson I'd do well to learn better - saying less is more!



Loch Linnhe, Kentallen

When I first sat down to type, I had this idea to tell you about every view around each bend of the highland roads; alongside all the great lochs. Whether it was sunny, overcast, or even better in some cases raining, every one it's own scene and character, on show only in the time it takes for the weather to change, even slightly, to make the view a different set and character. But there were two things wrong with this: 1. The outstanding scenery cannot be reduced to mere description (never mind poor theatrical analogy) and 2. Whilst the highlands may justly be called the undisputed visitor attraction in Scotland, this wouldn't cover what also makes coming here worthwhile.

The highland people, I confess, were a pleasant surprise to me. That sounds harsh, for which I humbly apologise. I wrongly assumed that they would be hardy, no-nonsense, as a counter to the landscape and weather conditions at their worst. That they would be impatient with soft outsiders. Also, with the current Scottish independence debate on-going, I anticipated small pockets at least of anti-English sentiment. But the people have, to me, been the opposite!

Cynically, you might say that in this tourist environment like any other, They would be wouldn't they! But such a mask can only last for so long. Here, the highland people, conservative (with a small 'c') and no sufferers of fools it's fair to say, are respectful, friendly and helpful, all with a smile. I found this not just in so-called tourist towns but in places like Kinlochleven and Mallaig where, of course, tourists go but other local industries also flourish - fishing and fish farming, small ship and other marine re-fitting and repairs, brewing, clothes manufacturing, hill farming, logging and forestry management.

The people here seem the sort who'd prefer I didn't write about them and stuck to writing about the land they are rightly proud of. So, okay, I won't write about them! But I also won't attempt to write about the landscape! Instead, I'll refer you to another one of my pictures.


View across Ben Nevis Range at 2000 feet

Ps
More on the railway theme, on Monday I went on the Harry Potter 'Jacobite' train line out of Fort William. It was 84 miles and 1 hour 20 minutes of one of the best train journey you will ever make! My picture of the Glenfinnan viaduct follows.






No comments:

Post a Comment